|Art work by Lewis Carl|
Lewis Carl awed, inspired and had our heads spinning with color as he presented a program on "Color Theory" this month. We learned that color is "tricky", "deceitful", and "personal". The good news is that there are no wrong colors! Lewis shared many examples of quilts that illustrated his concepts and also included some resources for creating color schemes or palettes.
- We welcomed 45 members, 2 new members and 3 guests to our meeting this month for a total of 50 in attendance.
- Membership cards and pins are now available!
- Be sure to pick up your 2019 Membership Directory.
- Sew-In day is May 10th, from 10 - 4 at Bernina, We're In Stitches. We ask that you purchase a half yard of fabric to be raffled off to one lucky participant.
- Bring anything you'd like to work on. We will also be piecing curved blocks for charity quilts, if you choose.
2019 MQG Charity Quilt
- Our Charity Quilt is back from Quiltcon and we are ready to donate it to a children's charity. If you have a suggestion, please email Cindy Lammon (cindy at hyacinthquiltdesigns dot com) and Elise Dunbar (elisedunbar at gmail dot com) with information about the charity you're recommending. We will accept suggestions until Saturday, April 13.
- The Executive Board will review the suggestions and make a final decision.
- The Spring retreat is this month! There is currently one spot available for a female to join us. Please email Sandy (shelsel65 at gmail dot com) if you're interested in going.
- There are a few spots left in the Photography and English Paper Piecing workshops with Kitty Wilkin. Contact Cheryl Brickey (cheryljbrickey at gmail dot com) if you would like to sign up.
Block of the Month
- Next month's block is Parking Lot.
- Look at all the great City Block blocks shown this month!
- Did you know our BOM designer, Travis, has quilt ideas for using each block of the month? Find them on his website home page here.
- The topic for our program in May is "Choosing Fabric for your Quilt". Do you have any "fabric choosing" dilemmas? Email Cindy (cindy at hyacinthquiltdesigns dot com) or Faye (birdie1345 at aol dot com) with your questions and we will try to incorporate them into the lecture.
- Please bring a bag containing 20-25, 5" squares of modern fabric from your scrap bin. We'll use these as part of a group activity during the program.
- We collected 10 charity quilts for our "Quilts for Kids" program.
- Blocks for the NC Hurricane quilt drive have been started. Please contact Faye (birdie1345 at aol dot com) if you would like to participate.
MQG Riley Blake Challenge
- The rules for this year's MQG Challenge have been announced and can be found here.
- If you were unable to get the fabric from the MQG, you may purchase it from your local shop or online retailer.
- The deadline is May 31, 2019.
Upcoming Classes and Workshops: Visit our Events and Shows Page for details of the following upcoming local events!
- Mitzi Schafer will be teaching "Quilt Yoga", a free motion quilting workshop, at Busy Bees in Fountain Inn on May 7th.
- The Shady Ladies Quilt Show and the Western NC Quilters Guild Show are both in May.
- Did you know that you have access to Creative Bug classes through the Greenville Public Library? Here's how:
- Sign in to your library account.
- Put "Creativebug" into the search box and search "site".
- Nicole McClelland is the District 1 Representative for the Quilters of South Carolina. She shared all the fun activities offered by the organization, including a Sew-In, Quilt Show and Retreat. Be sure to visit the Quilters of SC website for all the information.
- The Professional Arts Quilters Alliance has posted pictures of all the quilts in the show on their website here. Our own, Lynne Harrill has a quilt in the show. Show details are listed on our Events Page.
2019 GMQG Challenge
- This year's challenge was announced at the April meeting!
- Find all the rules and details here.
- Challenge quilts are due at the August meeting. We can't wait to see your creations!
Show and Share
|Paige Alexander showing Tula Pink Persimmon fabric, a match for the 2019 Pantone Color of the Year Challenge|
|Bonnie Cunningham, Quilt of Valor|
|Leigh Ann Lukens|
|Denise Frick, Carrie Barcroft, and Elise Dunbar - Class with Sherri Lynn Wood|
|Elise Dunbar - Class with Chawne Kimber|
|Elise Dunbar - Our January BOM, Intersection|
Our next meeting will be Saturday, May 4th from 1 - 3 pm at St. Giles Church, 1021 Hudson Rd., Greenville, SC.