Location: Bernina Store
President Cheryl Brickey called the October 10th, 2015 meeting to order shortly after 1 pm and welcomed everyone. 16 members and 1 guest were in attendance with 2 new members joining today.
- Registration has begun for QuiltCon West which will be held February 18-21, 2016 in Pasadena, CA. QuiltCon East will be held in February 2017 in Savannah, GA.
- QuiltCon West Challenge entry deadline is Nov 30th - There are two challenges, the Michael Miller Glitz Fabric Challenge and the EZQuilting Challenge using the mini triangle templates. Even if you were not able to sign up and receive the fabric or the templates, every MQG member is welcome to enter. Entry is open until Nov 30th for the juried and judged QuiltCon quilt show.
- The Silk Batik Scarf Workshop was on October 17th with Faye Jones.
- November 14th @ Bernina 1-3 pm: Bernina longarm introduction, 2016 planning, and elections.
- December 12th @ Local Restaurant TBD - noon-1:30pm - Year end luncheon.
- January 9th @ Bernina 1-3 pm: Program TBD
- February 13th @ Bernina 10 am - 3pm: Workshop by Lynne Harrill on curved piecing.
September's instructions were for Courthouse Steps Blocks. Instructions are also available on the Meadow Mist Designs blog and there is an active Facebook group for the quilt-a-long.
A lap-size quilt will be auctioned at a silent auction at a December 2nd fundraiser for the Meyer Center. The blocks from the Block of the Month program will be given out to members who wish to sew them into charity quilts.
Block of the Month
No block of the month pattern was given out at the October meeting. We will discuss plans for 2016 blocks of the month at the November meeting.
- Total membership is now up to 35!
- We are an official chapter of the Modern Quilt Guild. Please take a few minutes to log onto the MQG website and fill out your profile. Please contact Cheryl or Paige if you have any troubles.
- Nominations for the board were announced in September and October and will be voted on in November. Running for the board are:
- Cheryl Brickey - President
- Faye Jones - Vice President
- Paige Alexander - Treasurer
- Marcie Snyder - Secretary
- Adjunct Board Members - Marilyn Hagopian, Darlene Sanford, Cindy Lammon
Show and Share
We had a wide variety of wonderful show and shares from hand dyed and rusted fabric to quilts.
We started a new part to the program in October where members can bring in ideas or works in progress for the group's opinions. To get us started Paige brought a mini quilt she was trying to figure out how to finish (bind, face, etc) and Cheryl brought in baby quilt top she was trying to figure out how to quilt. The group enjoyed the discussion, please consider bringing some of your works in progress to the next meeting.
Program - Favorite Notions
Many members of the guild brought in their favorite notions to share. In addition to many traditional quilting and sewing notions, many different ideas and notions from non-traditional sources were presented such as pottery tools, tools to make multiple tables level to form one large table, and hardware store finds.
With no further business, the meeting was adjourned around 3pm.