Anita Wilbur, VP, ran the meeting as Ava was away at a retreat.
Anita started the meeting by having each person in attendance stand up and state their name and where they live.
Darlene Sanford shared that the dues for 2024 are due by Jan 1. This is to enable the Membership Committee to be able to get everyone entered into the Modern Quilt Guild in a timely manner.
There are additional perks to becoming a member of our guild. You are automatically a member of the National Modern Quilt Guild; this includes a free ticket to QuiltCon which would cost $45. Bernina We’re in Stitches gives the guild members a 20% discount once each month.
Sandy Helsel is part of the nominating committee for the new officers for our next year.
Voting is to take place at the November meeting for the new board. Sandy presented the slate for 2024:
- President – Ava Moore has agreed to continue as President for another year. Per our by-laws a President can serve two consecutive terms.
- Vice-President – Programs – Michelle Giles and Dawn Bianco
- Secretary – still looking for a volunteer
- Treasurer – Dawn Holter
- Membership – Teresa Mellinson and Linda Cassell
- Social Media – Dagmar Theodore has agreed to continue in this role
- Philanthropy – Cindy Lange and Duski Coleman will continue in this role
- Library – Ruth Freyer
- Retreat – if anyone would want to organize
- Holiday Fundraiser – looking for volunteer
Jackie Callis explained the December raffle again. Bring in auction items – can be homemade,
store bought, excess fabric, etc. Just ensure it’s something you’d like to receive.
Items can be dropped off at the next meeting or bring to the December luncheon. The items will be raffled
and you can purchase as many tickets for as many items you’d like to win for $1 per ticket
Nov 4 – Cheryl Brickey will be presenting a trunk show with regard to her new book Just two
Charm Pack Quilts; Slash your Stash
Cheryl taught the EQ8 class; she is a national certified instructor. There is a signup sheet for
“Serendipity” creative EQ8 class. Class likely will be sometime in Jan and the fee is $50.
There are two quilt shows coming up this weekend:
- “Quilters Reunion” presented by UpCountry Quilters Guild Fri Oct 13 – Sat Oct 14; Market at the Mill, Pickens, SC
- “Carolina Colors” presented by Rutherford Quilt Guild Fri Oct 13 – Sat Oct 14; Isothermal Community College, Spindale, NC
Our guild donated last year’s Philathrophy Quilt to the March of Dimes (they will auction off).
The current year Philanthropy Quilt was shown. Anita will be quilting and Jackie will be binding.
Pat Merkel shared that there is room in an AirBnB for next year’s QuiltCon; contact her if
Members who completed (or worked on) their Kawandi quilts shared them. All different and all
Pat Merkel did our presentation today.
She presented Faux Piped Binding (flange).
- Make your faux contrast
- Can make it light
Cut Piping 1-3/4”
Cut Binding 1-1/2”
Sew piping and binding strips together.
Press in half; note that the piping will cover one whole side and peak over to show on the
Sew the binding to the back of the quilt.
Fold it over to the front and stitch in the ditch between the piping and the binding.
Pat teaches Fearless Free Motion Quilting in NY 😊. Many of us showed interest in taking this class from Pat.
Show and Share