Quilt As Desired
This month our very own Cheryl Brickey (an engineer by profession) shared her systematic approach to choosing quilting designs. Cheryl began with her thought process for deciding between custom versus allover quilting. She considers such things as time, money, end use, texture versus highlighting and whether the fabrics are solids or prints. We enjoyed seeing her many quilts as she explained options and tips for both custom and allover quilting, including thread choice. We all left with some great guidelines on how to "quilt as desired"!
Find more of Cheryl's work on her website at: Meadow Mist Designs.
We also encouraged our members to design and make a new "modern" name tag this month!
It was so interesting to see each person's creative interpretation! Sandy's was unique with a name badge magnet. You can find the Exelmark Magnets on Amazon.
- We had 31 members and 2 guests in attendance this month.
- Our members donated 5 quilts to our philanthropy efforts.
- The shop is offering classes for the Jelly Roll Rug and One Block Wonder.
- An Aurifil Thread of the Month is starting. Sign up to get your first spool and a plastic storage box.
- Leslie shared some of the new fabric that has recently arrived.
Block of the Month
- We had a nice collection of Swirling Star blocks turned in!
- Our next Block of the Month is the Bulls Eye Block from Simple Simon and Company. This block will be due in November, since we won't be having a regular business meeting in October.
- Use a 10" background square and cut your circles any size, as long as they fit on the background.
- Leave the blocks in one piece, so the person who takes them can do whatever they want.
- Please use bright, happy colors.
- The membership overwhelmingly approved a dues increase to $50 for 2019.
- The nominees for the 2019 Board of Directors will be posted on our blog in early October. Voting will take place at the November meeting.
Upcoming Meetings and Activities
- October 12 and 13, 2018 - Lecture and Workshop with Yvonne Fuchs. Find the details here. There is one opening left, due to a cancellation. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. We encourage you to support the Bernina Store when buying your supplies for the Workshop.
- November 2, 2018 - Sew-In from 2 to 10 p.m. at the Bernina Store.
- November 10, 2018 - program to be determined.
- November 17, 2018 - Workshop with Cheryl Brickey "Subtracting for Minimalism". This is a workshop that Cheryl will be presenting at QuiltCon 2019. She is offering it as a free workshop for our members at the Bernina Store from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. The class is limited to 20 and as of our September meeting, there were 3 spots open. Email Valorie at email@example.com to sign up.
- December 8, 2019 - Holiday Luncheon and Chinese Auction. The Chinese Auction is our only annual fundraiser and we ask our members to donate new or nearly new, desirable items for auction. Sandy Helsel is leading a team of volunteers to organize the luncheon and activities.
- Keep up to date with plans and get more information on our Meeting and Activities Tab.
Upcoming Shows and Events
- Quilt Shows and other local guild activities can be found on our new Events and Shows Tab.
Show and Share
|Jean Gardiner - Charity Quilt
|Faye Jones - left Charity Quilt
|Faye Jones - Charity Quilt
|Travis Seward - published in Curated Quilts magazine
|Darlene Sanford - Charity Quilt
|Valorie Kasten - Charity Quilt
|Cheryl Brickey - published in Quilter's Planner
2310 East North Street, Suite A
Greenville, SC 29607