Modern Plus Sign Quilts with Cheryl Brickey and Paige Alexander
Our program this month featured two of our own members, Cheryl and Paige, who co-authored their first book, Modern Plus Sign Quilts. We were able to see up close and in person most of the quilts that are patterned in the book. The quilts are all great examples of a modern take on a very old, traditional Plus Sign block. Several of the quilts included "mash-ups" of a Plus Block with another traditional block, such as Pinwheel, Irish Chain and Kaleidoscope and ranged from super simple pieced quilts to applique to paper piecing.
Thank you Cheryl and Paige for sharing your enthusiasm and your beautiful work with us! Be sure to check out the Modern Plus Sign Quilts Blog Hop that Cheryl and Paige hosted on their blogs. Cheryl is at Meadow Mist Designs and Paige is at Quilted Blooms. You can also find their free Modern Plus Block Pillow pattern on the Stash Website.
We welcomed 39 members, 2 new members, and 6 guests at this month's meeting!
- Happy Anniversary to Bernina We're In Stitches! Congratulations on three years of serving the sewing community of Greenville!
- Nancy deJong has our 2018 Membership Directories printed and ready to be picked up at the membership table. One per member please.
- Foothills Piecemakers Bi-Annual Show is April 27-28 at the Pellam Road Baptist Church (stop by on the way to the retreat!)
- NC Quilt Symposium is May 31, June 1-3 at UNC Asheville.
- Quilters of SC will have a quilt exhibit at the Columbia Quilt Expo on July 20-21, 2018. We encourage our members to enter a quilt. Registration guidelines and forms can be found on the QSC website, quiltersofsc.org. Please note registration forms must be post marked between June 11 and June 14, 2018.
- Please join us on April 20, 2018 from 2 pm - 10 pm at the Bernina Store! Come at any time and stay for as long as you like. Bring your own projects to work on. We ask that you purchase a half yard of fabric at the store which is raffled to one lucky participant.
- May 12 - Special meeting time is 12 - 1. Following the meeting Didi Salvatierra will present an Introduction to Improv workshop. Email Valorie at email@example.com to check on current openings in the workshop.
- Choose a traditional block whose name begins with the same letter as one of your names and create a quilt in a modern style. This means that you will have at least three letters to work with or more if you have multiple middle or last names.
- Resources that catalog traditional blocks are numerous such as The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns by Jinny Beyer, 5,500 Quilt Block Designs by Maggie Malone, and quilterscache.com.
- The quilts will be displayed at the August 10 meeting and prizes will be awarded by viewer's choice.
- Quilt size not to exceed 36" on any one side.
- The interpretation of your block is open to your imagination!
- The design must use at least 3 of these 8 elements in modern quilt design:
- Bright/graphic color palette
- Negative Space
- No border
- Improvisational piecing
- Alternate grid work
- Exaggerated Scale
Journey of Quilters Event:
- On May 25, we will be hosting a tour group of quilters at the Bernina Store from 1-3 pm. Mark your calendars and be sure to join us for a fun afternoon of demos and refreshments!
- We collected five Charity Quilts today. They are all appreciated and will go to those needing comfort at a difficult time. Thank you!
Block of the Month:
- We have 3 new books in our library! Paper Pieced Modern, We Love Color and Improv Piecing.
Show and Share
|Marcia Given - Pieced Hearts Warm to Cool - free pattern by Kate Spain|
|Sara Conrad - Charity tablerunners|
|Sara Conrad - Feline Friends Challenge|
|Marilyn Hagopian - Maxwell Tote by Abbey Lane|
|Nancy deJong - Tulip Table Toppers|
|Travis Seward - Triangle Challenge for Curated Quilts|
|Madeline Faner - Whales Charity Quilt|
|Sarah Mims - Kaleidoscope Block from Paula Nadelstern class|
|Dagmar Theodore - Foothills QG Black and White Challenge|
|Laura Hall - Indigo Hand Dyed Triangle using work shirts from her Father and Batik String Quilt|
|Faye Jones - Charity Strip Quilt and Wedge Quilt|
|Faye Jones - Asian Lanterns|
|Paige Alexander - Plus Sign Pouch made by Michelle Blake and QuiltCon 2018 Challenge quilt|
|Paige Alexander - Pineapple Quilt, pattern published in Quilty Magazine Mar/Apr|
|Cindy Lammon - Row Addition from Modern Plus Sign Quilts and Economy Block, both for Charity|
|Cindy Lammon - String Quilt|
|Valorie Kasten - Tote Bag pattern from Branch and Vine and Charity Quilt|
Our next meeting will be at a special time - 12 pm on Saturday May 12, 2018, at:
2310 East North Street, Suite A
Greenville, SC 29607