Program: Facing and Binding Techniques
The focus of this month's program was finishing the edges of your quilt. We learned how to bind odd angles and curves from Cindy Lammon. Maybe you've considered skipping binding all together and finishing your quilt with a facing. Paige Alexander showed us step-by-step exactly how it's done and provided the following link for further reference: Face It!. Faye Jones added her unique spin on the binding with a flange inserted between the quilt and the binding. Thanks ladies for sharing all this great information. We can't wait to see how our members finish off their next quilts!
- We're so happy to see our guild continue to grow as we welcomed 2 new members and 2 guests to our meeting this month. With 49 members present, we had a total of 53.
- 2019 MQG Membership Cards have not arrived yet, but if you need one, you can print one at home from The Modern Quilt Guild Website.
- Be sure to pick up a Greenville MQG button!
- The next Sew-In Day is Friday, March 15th from 10 am to 4 pm at the Bernina Store on East North Street, Greenville.
- Please purchase a half yard of fabric at the store, to be raffled off to one lucky participant.
- Bring whatever you'd like to work on. We'll also continue working on gentle curved blocks for charity (optional).
- Congratulations to all of our guild QuiltCon participants this year!
- Quilt of the Month Section: Cheryl Brickey, Mitzi Schafer, and Paige Alexander.
- Quilts juried into QuiltCon: Cheryl Brickey, Christopher Brickey (Junior Member), Paige Alexander, and Cynthia Steward.
- Award Winners: Cynthia Steward, first place Michael Miller Challenge; Paige Alexander, second place Michael Miller Challenge; Paige Alexander, first place Two Color Challenge.
- Many of our members attended QuiltCon this year and, in a short discussion, it was fun to hear what they loved, learned or were inspired by.
- See the award winning quilts on the QuiltCon website.
- QuiltCon 2020 is in Austin, Texas and QuiltCon 2021 is in Atlanta, Georgia.
- There are currently 2 openings, one male and one female, for the Spring Retreat. These openings are also available for members' guests.
- Attendees have been sent an email regarding what to bring. Further instructions will be coming from instructors and demonstrators.
Block of the Month
- The Roundabout blocks shown at this month's meeting:
- The next block is City Block.
- There are still a few openings in the workshops with Kitty Wilkin, scheduled for May 31st and June 1st.
- The cost for members is $30 and the workshops are currently open to non-members at a cost of $35.
- In April, our guest speaker will be Lewis Carl, who serves as an assistant professor in the Division of Art + Design of the School of Fine Arts and Communication at Bob Jones University. Lewis will speak on Color Theory.
- Our May program will be a discussion and hands-on practice in choosing fabrics for a quilt.
- We collected 3 charity quilts this month for our Quilts for Kids Program!
- Faye Jones has formed a Bee to work on a group quilt for the NC Hurricane Relief effort. She would like to start making blocks on our Sew-In Day, March 15th (see above for details). She asks those who would like to participate to print the free pattern, Tribute Star Quilt by Rebecca Bryan. Bring "beachy" colors such as aqua, blue, watery green, etc. Raid your scraps and stash for prints or solids. Contact Faye at birdie1345 at aol dot com for questions or suggestions.
- Faye suggested the website Quilt Inspiration as a resource for free quilt patterns on the web.
- We have several new books in our library!
Show and Share
|Valorie Kasten - MQG Swap and Charity Quilt|
|Leigh Ann Lukens - Whole Cloth Quilt|
|Michelle Blake - Polaroid Quilt Charity|
|Dana Blasi - Class samples from QuiltCon|
|Faye Jones - Face raw Edge Appliqué|
|Faye Jones - Clamshell quilt charity|
|Faye Jones - Asian Slice and Dice|
|Christina Strickland - Triangle Quilt inspired by Simply Moderne|
|Christina Strickland - Ruth McDowell design|
|Jackie Callis - Asian Fabrics|
|Chris Foster - State of Being pattern by Meadow Mist Designs|
|Chris Foster - The Rebel Quilt pattern by Libs Elliot|
|Paige Alexander - Double Crossed, 1st place winner Two Color Category QuiltCon 2019|
|Cindy Lammon - Economy Quilt and Campfire pattern by Suzy Quilts|
Our next meeting will be Saturday, April 6th, from 1-3 pm. at: St. Giles Church, 1021 Hudson Rd., Greenville, SC.