Recap of MQG QuiltCon East 2017 in Savannah, GA
First, we celebrated!!!!!
Greenville Modern Quilt Guild had two members receive awards on their quilt entries in this year's MQG QuiltCon in Savannah, GA. Our award winners are..........Paige Alexander and Cheryl Brickey. We congratulate you both and are so proud of your accomplishment.
|Paige Alexander (left) and Cheryl Brickey (right) - QuiltCon 2017 Award winners|
Here are photos of their winning quilts:
Cheryl Brickey - 1st Place in the American Patchwork & Quilting Nine Patch Challenge entitled "Warp and Welt"
|Cheryl Brickey- Warp and Welt won 1st Place in 9 Patch Challenge|
|Paige Alexander - Cursive won 2nd Place in Small Quilts|
Paige Alexander - 3rd Place in the American Patchwork & Quilting Nine Patch Challenge entitled "Mustard Stain"
|Paige Alexander - Mustard Stain won 3rd Place in 9 Patch Challenge|
|GMQG Charity Quilt- +++ Positive Impact +++|
Check out all the winning quilts at QuiltCon East show here at Modern Quilt Guild 2017 Award Winners including Best in Show. GMQG extends a huge "THANK YOU" to the Modern Quilt Guild Organization. We know you worked tirelessly and made it look effortless in bringing the scope of the show together. You hosted a mammoth event that we all here in Greenville, SC celebrate, appreciate and enjoyed.
Quilting Bee Dialog:
Our meeting this month was about our experiences at QuiltCon. As I listened to the various comments and feedback, it made me envision a quilting bee sitting together around a quilt in progress. We have come to know each other, so we could talk openly and candidly. It was good to hear each others perspectives, likes and/or dislikes, ideas, inspirations....and more.
If I could summarize our talks, I would have to say GMQG is enthusiastic to continue to be a part of defining "modern" quilting. And, to further challenge ourselves in thought, design, technique and workmanship.
Additional items to note:
- We had a good turnout this meeting. Paige Alexander reported a total of 31. We also had seven (7) new members to join GMQG -- "WELCOME" bringing our membership total to date at 58.
- Did you know - MQG has quilting episodes called "Fresh Quilting" available on online. Check it out!
- Door prizes are fun. We had nine (9) giveways this month that included various items like a MQG water bottle, books, fabric quarters, patterns and more. Congrats to the lucky winners.
- March 27th, Leslie White wants you to join her at Bernina Sewing Center for cutting up fabric scraps with AccuQuilt cutter. To learn more contact the store at 864-235-5031.
- Next month: bring a gift for the "gift basket" that Cindy mentioned for our special upcoming event
- August Quilt Challenge announced!!!!! Here are the criteria for this year's prize-winning challenge:
- Quilt size - not to exceed 36" on one side
- Pattern name: Birds in the Air: http://mamalovequilts.com/2013/01/tutorial-birds-in-air-quilt-block.html . Note: the interpretation of this pattern is "open" to your imagination
- Use at least three (3) of the 8 elements in modern quilt design listed below:
- bright/graphic color palette
- negative space
- no borders
- improvisational piecing
- alternate grid work
- exaggerated scale
Upcoming GMQG Events:
- Two (2) Ready, Set, Quilt classes with Johnny McKenzie are coming up for GMQG Members March 17th or 18th. The class session is free to members. The time for each class are 10:00am - Noon. Register at least five (5) days prior to the class date. For more information or to participate in the program contact Johnnie by email at email@example.com
- April 7-9th: Our guild is having a first retreat at the Wildfires Retreat Conference Center in North Carolina. The details of the event are here on our website.Thank you Sandy Helsel and Faye Jones for planning and coordinating this weekend away. It's not to late to sign up, invite a friend or participate in a carpool. For assistance, email Sandy at firstname.lastname@example.org
- May 12 & 13th -
Michelle Wilkie - Modern Quilt Design
Upcoming Outside Quilting Events:
- Riley Blake Challenge with Creative Rockstar Fabric 2017
- The deadline for submissions is April 30th
- April 7 & 8-Tarheel Quilters Guild-"A Symphony of Quilts-Quiltfest 2017" in Fayetteville, NC.
- The Bechtler Museum of Modern Art - The Re-Launched and Re-Discovered Exhibit thru April 23rd in Charlotte, NC
- May 5 & 6-Western NC Quilters Guild-2017 Quilt Show.
- They are accepting quilt entries for the show until April 1, 2017
Modern Skill Builder - Block of the Month
Good job to those who challenged themselves to Ellen's Snowball designed by Cath of Wombat Quilts.
|Block name: Ellen's Snowball|
We had five(5) who submitted their take on this quilt block and I have to say they looked spectacular. We look forward to seeing the quilt made utilizing these blocks. It is going to be an eyecatcher!
What is the March Block Challenge?
It is entitled "X Marks the Improv" Their is a great step by step tutorial on the A Quilter's Table by Debbie Jeske
|X Marks the Improv Block|
So here are the details and guidelines:
Block size: 9 1/2" x 18 1/2" unfinished (smaller than in the tutorial)
Skills this block builds: Slice and insert, improv piecing
Fabrics/Colors: Whites, grays, and blues in solids or blenders (think boy fabrics so no floral fabrics) with an optional pop of orange and/or yellow
We appreciate Faye Jones for keeping GMQG proactive for the cause in making cuddle/comfort quilts for children who have been removed from an abusive situation. And, now, as she mentioned (and received our show of hands in approval) to expand our reach to the Julie Valentine Center. This center works with both Women and Children in sexual assault cases. At a low moment in life, the beauty of a "comfort" quilt is a huge blessing in healing the human spirit.
Thank you to all who have generously given quilts to date AND thank you to many of you who brought quilts this past Saturday (see in Show & Share).
Show & Share
|Elise Dunbar- Constellation pillow squares (left) & results from a Heather Jones workshop (right)|
|Michele Blake - her results from a Heather Jones workshop|
|Bonnie Cunningham (left) & Didi Salvatierra (right) - made table runners to be donated to Habitat for Humanity|
|Nicole McClelland - a baby quilt for her child's teacher|
|Faye Jones - two children quilts for GMQG Charity|
|Faye Jones - goes tropical with Pineapple quilt square|
|Cheryl Brickey - children's quilt for GMQG Charity using Bonnie & Camille fabrics|
|Madeline Faner- beautiful quilted wall hanging (left) and children Clemson Tiger quilt for GMQG Charity|
|Valorie Kasten- her Quiltcon swap mini quilt she received from a quilter in Mexico City|
|Paige Alexander - discussing how she made her shirt|
|Debbie Graves -fabric recommendation by Hoffman|
|Marilyn Hagopian- recommending WALK by Jacquie Gering (machine quilting with a walking foot)|
|Ruth Freyer - race car children's quilt for GMQG charity|
|Cindy Lammon - two quilts for GMQG charity|
|Cindy Lammon - Quilt with fabrics from Rifle Paper Co as well as Cotton & Steel|
Please note a change in our next meeting. It will be on the 3rd Saturday, April 15th.....and we will have a full agenda that includes:
- First of all ---Blow the trumpet, please --- it's "Block Recycle Challenge" unveiling!!!! This is going to be so much fun seeing how each of you transformed an unfinished, packed away and/or unloved quilt square that was brought in by one of you. As you know, Faye Jone's theory and challenge to us was a hidden away quilt square could be the inspiration to another. Our goal is to prove her right next month. Faye will present prizes to the winners.
- We also will have opportunity to hear about the retreat at Wildacres
- Last but not least, Cindy Lammon and Faye Jones will present a lecture on "Copyright in Quilting"
2310 East North Street, Suite A
Greenville, SC 29607