Our April meeting was a success
......the rotating demonstration tables featured two very different sewing techniques -- raw edge applique with Faye Jones and sewing facings with Lynne Harrill.
|Faye Jones- demonstrating free motion raw edge applique|
Both demonstrations visually provided steps and application that we can takeaway and utilize in our quilting and other sewing projects.
|Lynne Harrill- sharing her technique for precision facings|
Thank you Faye and Lynne for coming so prepared....your quilt exhibits used to teach us were wonderful!!
We also thank Paige Alexander for donating the Sewtopia Swag door prize giveaways. Several of us went home with an added treat. Enjoy.
Next Month - May 14th
We are having a workshop with our own GMQG member - Cindy Lammon who will be teaching Beginning Machine Quilting
If you have not met Cindy, checkout her blog at Hyacinth Quilt Designs
. She is an avid quilter, author and teacher.
It is a workshop not to be missed. Cheryl will be emailing the supply list for this workshop in the next few days, so be on the lookout.
Show & Share
One of the neat features of Show & Share is the story that inspires each project.....and this month we had a wide range from a sewing conference, anniversary celebration, trying out a new technique, special fabric, niece going to college, to giving us a sneak peek on a next project.
Cheryl Brickey had several book/magazines that she shared with us. For your recall, they were:
- Crafted Applique - New Possibilities by Lara Buccella
- The Ultimate Guide to Machine Quilting -- Long Arm and Sit Down co-authored by Angela Walters and Christa Watson
- Quiltcon Magazine
- Quiltmakers 100 Blocks
Valerie Kasten has a special tool for squaring up a quilt:
- A tile laser level - (just the basic one)
Our Block of the Month challenge is.........String Block. Faye only had one criteria --- finished dimension size measure 12.5 x 12.5. So, that means any color quilt fabric can be used....this is a great way to use those extra pieces of fabric from other projects.
Who constructed a Log Cabin this month? Raise your hand.......Thank you to all the March Block of the Month participants -- look at the beautiful colors.
Your time and sewing participation does make a difference. Faye Jones reported that we now have completed seven (7) philanthropy quilts for the Greenville Hospital Quilts for Kids.
One of our volunteer quilters, Valerie Kasten, took four (4) of the January Block of the Months to make the quilt she brought to show us.
There are several events to keep on your radar. Here they are:
- Latifah Saafir workshops at the Charleston MQG (Bias Tape and Molehills) will be June 18th and 19th
- Silk Batik Scarf Workshop by Faye Jones. Faye may have one or two slots still open so if your interested please email Faye at firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate. The cost of the workshop is $15.
- Riley Blake Challenge due at the end of May
- Ongoing monthly events at Bernina Sewing Center
Mark your calendars for our meetings ahead:
- Workshop- Beginning Machine Quilting with Cindy Lammon - May 14th from 10:00a.m. - 3:00pm. at Bernina Sewing Center. Cheryl Brickey will email the supply list.
- Specialty Ruler Discussion + Paige Alexander introduction and announcement for GMQG Challenge - June 11th from 1:00pm - 3:00pm --- And, as always, bring your Show & Share.