Negative Space in Modern Quilt Design
The use of expansive negative space is a defining element in modern quilt design. In this month's program, Valorie Kasten gave us an in-depth look at the use of negative space. We learned that creating 1/3 or more negative space on the quilt is considered modern design. She also discussed how to create negative space and some ideas on how to quilt it.
For more information, be sure to check out these resources:
- Accentuate The Negative by Trisch Price of Hadley Street Quilts
- The Quilter's Negative Space Handbook by Sylvia Schaefer of Flying Parrot Quilts
- The Modern Quilt Guild - search Negative Space
- Notan, the Japanese study of light and dark
- We welcomed 39 members, 3 new members and 5 guests to our meeting this month for a total of 47 present.
- The next Sew-In Days are Friday, March 15th and Friday, May 10th from 10-4.
- The Sew-Ins are held at Bernina, We're In Stitches. We ask that you purchase 1/2 yard of fabric from the store. There will be a drawing at the end of the day for one lucky winner.
- Bring anything you'd like to work on for open sewing.
- QuiltCon is this month, February 21-24 in Nashville, TN!
- NOTE! Special Greenville Modern Quilt Guild buttons have been ordered for our members to wear at QuiltCon. The buttons are free and Sandy Helsel will distribute them at the Thursday evening Happy Hour, sponsored by Bungalow Quilting and Yarn, that runs 6-8 pm at the Music City Center. (Check info at QuiltCon for the exact location). Sandy will be at the entrance at 6 pm or you can call her to make arrangements to pick up your button during the show. Buttons will also be available at the March meeting.
- There are currently 2 openings (one male and one female) for the retreat on April 25-28 at Wildacres Retreat.
- Contact Sandy for more information at shelsel65 at gmail dot com.
Kitty Wilkin Workshops
- There are a few openings left for the Photography, English Paper Piecing and Small Piecing Workshops on May 31st and June 1st.
- The workshop price is currently $25, but goes up to $30 on February 15th.
- Contact Cheryl for more information or to sign up at cheryljbrickey at gmail dot com.
Block of the Month
- This month's block is Round About. Follow the link for the pattern and find the templates here.
- Travis recommended this YouTube video for sewing curves. (Pressing instructions can be found at 11 minutes 18 seconds)
- March: Round Robin Binding and Facing Techniques
- April: Color Theory lecture by Lewis Carl
- May: Choosing Fabric for Your Quilt
- We collected NINE quilts for our Quilts For Kids Program. Thank you!!!
- The North Carolina Quilt Project is collecting twin size and larger quilts for victims of last Fall's two hurricanes. Follow the link for drop-off information. Bonnie Cunningham has also volunteered to deliver any quilt donations.
- If you would like to get together with other members to make quilts for the NC Quilt Project, contact Faye Jones at birdie1345 at aol dot com.
Free to a Good Home Table
- Do you have sewing items you no longer want or need? We're offering a great opportunity to share them with someone who would! Our members enjoyed scooping up some treasures from our "freebie" table this month.
Show and Share
|Raffle Quilt for the Landrum Quilters Show - June 13-15|
Our next meeting will be Saturday, March 2nd from 1-3 pm at St. Giles Church, 1021 Hudson Rd., Greenville, SC.