Mitzie Schafer awed and inspired us with her quilting journey and trunk show this Saturday! She encouraged us to be fearless in our craft and we loved seeing all her beautiful creations. The scope of her work is amazing and equally amazing is the fact that she doesn't have any UFOs (unfinished projects). Thank you, Mitzie for sharing your talent with us! Visit Mitzie's website for more info and to shop her patterns at Jittery Wings
SC MQG Swap
On November 3rd, several of our members traveled to Columbia, SC to swap mini quilts in person. What a fun activity and look at all those happy faces!
Our members who attended, as proud owners of the lovely little quilts that they received:
- We had 38 members, 2 guests and 2 new members present at our meeting this month.
- Leslie just returned from Quilt Market and has a lot of new products and fabric coming to the shop!
- Amanda Murphy will be teaching a class: "Machine Quilting With Rulers on a Domestic Machine" in December. Contact the shop for dates and to sign up.
New Location for GMQG Meetings
We are excited to announce a new and larger location for our meetings, beginning January 2019! We will be meeting at the Fellowship Hall at St. Giles Church, 1021 Hudson Rd in Greenville. This location is about 3 miles from our current location and offers us more space as our guild grows.
Because of the move and the availability of the space, our meetings will change to the first Saturday of the month beginning January 5, 2019. Please note that on January 5th, the meeting will be held from 12-2 p.m. For the remainder of the year the meetings will continue to be held at our regular time of 1-3 p.m.
Election of New Officers
- The membership voted in favor of following slate for the 2019 GMQ Board:
- President - Elise Dunbar
- Vice-President - Valorie Kasten
- Secretary - Cindy Lammon
- Treasurer - Paige Alexander
- Membership Chairs - Sandy Helsel and Dagmar Theodore
- In addition, it was announced that Travis Seward will head up the Block of the Month, and Nancy deJong will serve as head of a newly formed Facilities Committee as we make our way to a new location
- Cheryl Brickey has taken the position of Coordinator for Outside Speakers as of September.
- The membership approved the following dues proposal: Junior membership will be open to any interested quilter age 18 and under, at one half the regular membership rate. Junior members will have the same benefits of a regular membership. Junior members under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult member at all guild meetings and activities.
- Membership dues of $50 for 2019 are now due and must be paid by December. Mail your dues to Paige Alexander (her address is in your Directory) or bring your cash/check to the December meeting.
"Subtracting for Minimalism" Workshop
- The workshop will be held on Saturday, November 17 from 10-4 at the Bernina Store. The workshop is limited to 20 people and is currently full. Please contact Valorie at firstname.lastname@example.org for cancellations, to be added to a wait list or to get a supply list.
December Christmas Luncheon and Auction
- Our Christmas lunch will be held on December 8 from noon to 2 p.m. at the Bernina Store. Please RSVP to Sandy at email@example.com by November 24th if you plan to attend. Sandy also needs one more volunteer to bring dessert. Let her know if you can help.
- In addition to the luncheon, we will also have our annual Lottery Auction. This is our only fundraiser and a super fun activity! You can purchase tickets for $1 and bid as many tickets as you like on each item. A winner is drawn from the tickets bid.
- Please bring new or slightly used, quality items to be used in the auction. These can be quilt related, such as fabric, books and finished quilts. We also love having decor items, artwork and gift certificates. Anything you know a fellow quilter would love to win!
- Mark your calendars! The 2019 Retreat will be held at Wildacres in Little Switzerland, NC from Thursday, April 25 to Sunday April 28.
- Registration begins at the January 2019 meeting.
- The 3 night slots may be split between 2 people, but must be arranged by the individuals and paid with one payment.
- The cost is $235 and includes the double occupancy room, meals, gratuities and use of the sewing room.
- Our program in January will be presented by our member long-arm quilters. Learn what you need to know before sending you quilt out to be long-arm quilted!
Block of the Month
- The second block is Dog Gone Cute from Sew Fresh Quilts. Choose either dog #5 or #6 or do both!
Show and Share
|Cindy Lammon - Swap quilt on right|
|Didi Salvatierra - Quilts of Valor Quilts|
|Faye Jones - center and right, Charity Quilt|
|Johellen George - sweatshirt jacket|
|Jackie Callis |
|Denise Frick - Art journalling turned into Mini quilts|
|Sheryl Sane - Swap quilt|
Post a Comment