QuiltCon and Trends in Modern Quilting
Our program this month was a review and discussion of QuiltCon 2018. We viewed many of the winning quilts, along with our members' quilts that were juried into the show. The discussion concluded with a look at some of the current trends in Modern Quilting. Hopefully, we all left with some new ideas for our own creations!
Things To Know...
We were happy to welcome 6 new members to our guild this month! With 39 members and 4 visitors, we had a total of 49 present at the meeting.
News From the Shop
- Angela Walters' new quilting rulers are now in the shop.
- Bernina has released a gold #1 foot for the 125th anniversary of its first machine.
- Spaces are still available for the afternoon session of the Aurifil Thread lecture on March 28th.
- A book signing party is planned for Friday, March 16th to launch the new book, "Modern Plus Sign Quilts" with our members Cheryl Brickey and Paige Alexander.
- An Accuquilt Trunk Show is coming to the shop in April. Check back for dates.
- Scissor sharpening will be available at our May or June meeting.
- Nancy de Jong has a proof of this year's Membership Directory. Members were asked to check the information included before it goes to print next month. If you were unable to attend the meeting and your information has changed since the last directory, please email Nancy at Nancyld54@gmail.com.
Mark Your calendar
- Currently there are 22 retreaters for the April 27-29 retreat at Wildacres Retreat Conference Center.
- Please email Sandy ASAP at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you would still like to register. Guests are also welcome.
- If you are planning on going to the retreat, Sandy has scheduled a meeting (prior to our regular monthly meeting) on April 14th at 12:30. She will be discussing car pool plans, supplies to bring, the mystery project and more. Please email Sandy at the address above if you cannot make this Retreat Planning Meeting.
- Thanks to all of you who joined us in February!
- The remaining days for the year are: April 20, June 22, August 17, and October 19, from 2-10 pm.
- April 14 - Modern Plus Sign Quits and How to Get Published
- May 12 - Improv Quilting followed by a workshop with Didi Salvatierra. Our regular meeting will start at noon and be followed by the hands on workshop. The workshop is limited to 20 members and filled up at this month's meeting. If you'd like to be added to a wait list, please email Valorie at email@example.com and put "Improv Workshop" in the subject line. If you signed up at the meeting and are unable to attend the workshop, please let Val know!
Riley Blake Challenge
- For those who signed up, Valorie has the fabric supplied by the MQG.
- If you didn't sign up, you can still participate in the challenge by purchasing the fabric yourself.
- Challenges are due on April 22nd.
Journey of Quilters Event
- Our guild will be hosting a quilting tour group at the Bernina Store on Friday, May 25th from 1-3 pm.
- The program will consist of Show and Share, demos and refreshments.
- All our welcome, but seating will be limited as we're expecting around 30 guests.
- We're looking for members willing to participate in the Show and Share and/ or bring refreshments. Sign up at next month's meeting.
- We would also like to give each of the guests a hand-made tote bag. Susan provided us with simple online tutorials. Please sign up at the next meeting if you're willing to make 1 or 2.
Block of the Month
- We had several blocks turned in from last month's BOM. Thank you!
- This month we're making an Improv Curves block from the Knoxville MQG.
- Use any colors you choose, keeping the unpieced portion of the block solid or almost solid.
- Dagmar suggests placing 2 rulers on your fabric, spaced about an inch apart to stabilize it as you cut the improv curve.
Congratulations to GMQG member, Paige Alexander whose "Casting Shadows" quilt took second place in the Michael Miller Challenge at QuiltCon!
|Elise Dunbar - Charity quilt|
|Didi Salvatierra - hand appliquéd and hand quilted|
|Ruth - BOM Charity Quilt and "Lloyd & Lola" pattern by Elizabeth Hartman|
|Laura Hall - "Round and Round" pattern by Thimbleblossoms|
|Michelle Blake - "See it All Pouch" from Stitched Sewing Organizers by Aneela Hoey|
|Michelle Blake - "Inside Out Pouch" and Jelly Roll Rug|
|Sue Bready - Charity Quilt|
|Travis Seward - Courthouse Steps|
|Denise Frick - Mini House Quilts made from scraps|
|Valorie Kasten - Mini quilt from MQG swap and Charity quilt|
|Nancy de Jong - Charity quilt - Diamonds made from Half-square triangles|
|Faye Jones - Quilt from Hand-dyed fabric and Charity quilt|
We'd love to see you at our next meeting, Saturday, April 14, 2018 from 1-3 pm at:
2310 East North Street, Suite A
Greenville, SC 29607
Post a Comment