Surface Design with Faye Jones
What a fantastic program we enjoyed this month! Greenville MQG member, Faye Jones, shared her experience with surface design on fabric, including samples, tips, and pitfalls. Most of all, she emphasized the importance of just giving it a try and experimenting! Here are some of her resources you may be interested in:
- Dharma Trading Company - find dyes and other supplies along with many technique tutorials.
- Book: Create Your Own Hand Printed Cloth by Rayna Gillman
- Book: Color By Accident by Ann Johnson
- Online resources: search rust dyeing, Shibori, stamping with thickened dye, cloth dyeing (Paula Burch articles are excellent).
- And of course, Faye is always willing to help you! Feel free to contact her.
Things to Know...
We were happy to welcome 4 new members to our guild this month! Along with 9 visitors and 39 members present, we had a total of 52 attendees!
News From the Shop
- A new Block of the Month called "Floral Menagerie" is now available.
- New Batiks are on order and coming soon!
- Sign up for the program from Alex Veronelli from Aurifil Threads on March 28th.
- Check with the shop for February's Monthly Sit & Sew.
- Bernina Embroidery accessories are now on sale.
- Don't forget guild members get a 20% discount once a month!
- Nancy now has Membership Cards - be sure to pick yours up.
- Charlotte Quilter's Guild Show is March 9-10 at the Union County Ag Center in Monroe, NC.
- Quilters of SC Spring meeting is March 24th in Columbia. Jan Krentz is speaking on the topic "Design Inspiration From Every Day Life".
- The MQG Riley Blake Challenge is due on April 22nd. The winner's quilt will hang at Quilt Market.
- Foothills Piecemakers Bi-Annual Quilt Show is April 27-28 at the Pelham Road Baptist Church.
- NC Quilt Symposium is May 31, June 1-3 at UNC Asheville.
- "Tea with the Quilters" Retreat in Atlantic Beach, NC is Dec 9-14. Organized by the Doubletree Hotel Atlantic Beach, the retreat is open to all NC and SC guilds. The cost is $169/night/room for a full package including meals and $69/night for room only. Prices are double occupancy and include access to the retreat room. Prizes, demos and vendors included. For more information or to book contact Whitney Girard at (252) 222-4013 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Retreat April 27-29, 2018
- The retreat is quickly filling up! After Feb. 28th, rooms will open to non-members. To reserve your spot, contact Sandy at email@example.com.
- Please join us this Friday, February 16th from 2-10 pm at the Bernina Store for our first Sew-in day of 2018. Come for as long as you like and bring your own projects to work on. Admission is a half yard of fabric, purchased at the shop. One lucky person will go home with all the fabric!
- The remaining scheduled Sew-In days are: April 20th and June 22nd.
- March 10 - Quiltcon Recap and Current Trends
- April 14 - Cheryl Brickey and Paige Alexander with show their new book, Modern Plus Sign Quilts and discuss how to get published.
- Faye delivered 9 quilts to the Children's Abuse Medical Program last month. We continue to appreciate and welcome your donations.
Block of the Month
- We received numerous blocks for the Ventura MQG quilt drive. Thank you to everyone who contributed a block! They are on their way to California, along with a note of support to our fellow quilters.
- This month's BOM is a Half Rectangle With A Twist Block. Follow the link for the tutorial. You can use any colors with good contrast.
Dagmar suggests starting with a 4 1/2" x 6 1/2" rectangle. You'll need to use the 30 degree line on your ruler for making the angle cut. Be sure your rectangles are stacked all right side up before making the 30 degree cut! Finished size is 8", unfinished 8 1/2" square.
Show and Share
|Michelle Blake - Retreat Schlep Bag|
|Ruth - Charity Quilts - Elizabeth Hartman Butterfly Quilt, Flying Geese, Sew Kind of Wonderful Flamingo Quilt|
|Rita Sassone - Animals by Shiny Happy World|
|Laura Hall - Land Form Improv Wallhanging|
|Elise Dunbar - Log Cabin Quilt from Utility Style Quilt Book|
|Nancy Schlepphorst - Improv mini|
|Madeline Faner - Charity Quilt with Didi's block|
|Travis Seward - Flying Geese Challenge quilt designed in EQ7|
|Travis Seward - Original design|
|Lynn Harris - Round Robin Challenge and Double Disappearing Nine Patch|
|Cheryl Brickey - Magnolia Mystery Quilt|
|Nancy deJong - Bird Wallhanging|
|Christina Strickland - Star Quilt from free Quiltcon pattern|
|Faye Jones - Marcia Given's Charity Quilt and Cheryl's son, Christopher's Automobile Quilt, both for charity|
|Faye Jones - String Piecing and Log Cabin Charity Quilt|
|Paige Alexander - Off the Grid Mini Quilt featured in "Curated Quilts".|
|Darlene Morse - First quilt made in 1991|
|Valorie Kasten - Pinwheel Charity Quilt and Quiltcon Mini Quilt Swap|
|Cindy Lammon - 60 Degree Triangle Quilt and Magnolia Mystery|
What great energy was in the air at this month's meeting!
Hope you can join us for our next meeting on March 10th from 1-3 pm at:
2310 East North Street, Suite A
Greenville, SC 29607