All About Rulers - Highlights from Saturday, June 11, 2016Thank you to all the members and guests who participated in this month’s GMQG gathering and discussion on All About Rulers. We also express our thanks to Leslie White of Bernina Sewing Center for our visually colorful and inspiring meeting room.
As we heard and saw from this month’s discussion, Rulers command an important role in what we do in sewing from the free-flow to the most precision of projects. It was interesting to hear insights from participants as well as utilization of favorite or most used rulers and then the not so favorite.
We also had some wonderful shared tips such as:
- organizing the instructions for the various usage of rulers in plastic sleeve pages housed in a 3-ring binder (so it’s all in one place),
- attaching peg board to the side of your sewing table or wall to display all of your rulers (to remember what you have as well as for easy access) and
- taping together multiple rulers to square a quilt for the finishing stage…..
All the information was gained wisdom to make us better at what we love to do!!!
We also express our thanks to our give-away drawing gifts from Dana Blasi (quilting book), Paige Alexander and Lynne Harrill (various rulers)…..this added fun and anticipation for everyone.
Next Month- July 9th: Greenville Modern Quilt Guild is celebrating:
We hope you can join us. It will be a special time of appreciating our beginnings, all those who have made this possible and our members.
In addition, we will have a trunk show with our own, Dana Blasi.
Lots happening here.....Amazing Faye Jones has spearheaded GMQG in organizing and making quilts for the Children's Hospital at GHS. We invite you to participate with the many who have already donated time and talent. Our quilt recipients are children whose lives have been traumatized by abuse. As you may be able to imagine, for children in these experiences, the quilts are a vibrant, whimsical, playful representation of goodness and the beginning point of rebuilding hope and love. You make a difference.
June Block of the Month will be Wonky Cross Block Squares. Here is an example:
Again, the finish block will need to be 12 1/2" x 12 1/2". Bright color fabrics are recommended.
Take a look at the incoming half square triangles from May's block of the month:
Here are some of the finish quilts for donation this month:
Announcement & Workshops:
· Latifah Saafirworkshops at the Charleston MQG (Bias Tape and Molehills, June 18th and 19th) There may still be room if people are interested. Contact the Charleston MQG directly to find out.
· QuiltConEast – The schedule for lectures and workshops has been posted. Registration will open on June 25th for all MQG members. If you are planning on registering, please check to make sure you know your MQG ID and password and can get logged into the site as soon as possible to prevent any registration delays.
· MQG Showcase - International Quilt Festival will once again feature the Modern Quilt Guild Showcase Nov. 3–6, 2016. The deadline is June 17.
· Ontario(California) Museum of History and Art is having an exhibit entitled Modern Quilts: Redesigning Traditions. The exhibit will run from December 1, 2016 through January 22, 2017. The website provides information for quilt submissions.
Sew-in Days (with Cindy Lammon) - the first sew in day will be on Friday July 29th from 10am- 4pm at Bernina. More information can be found at http://www.greenvillemodernquiltguild.com/2016/05/save-date-sew-in-day.html
The Blood Connection Donation Center's Art Showcase May 14th - Aug. 10th is by Fabric Artist Beth Andrews. The location is 435 Woodruff Rd. Greenville, SC 29607.
GMQG Challenge - Begin designing your mini quilt for the August challenge - Black, White and a pop of color theme. Refer to the GMQG blog for more information.
Show & Share
We had two members enter the most recent Riley Blake Challenge. Here are their projects:
|Michele Blake - Quilt fabric zip bag|
|Fannie Wengerd - Baby carrier|
|Lynne Harrill - above and below|
|Tonya Morin- Fun dog blanket|
Bernina Sewing Center
2310 E. North Street
Greenville, SC 29609