Location: Bernina Store
President Cheryl Brickey called the meeting to order shortly after 1pm and welcomed everyone. 18 members and 3 visitors were in attendance.
- Leslie welcomed the Guild to the Bernina store and introduced Bernina's Row by Row quilt pattern for the summer shop hop.
- Lizzy House will be teaching some workshops at the Charleston Modern Quilt Guild at the end of August. Dates, cost, location, and how to sign up is on the Charleston Modern Quilt Guild website http://charlestonmodernquiltguild.blogspot.com/p/upcoming-classes.html
- We took a vote and decided that future meetings will be held at the Bernina store.
- Asheville Quilt Show coming up October 2, 3 & 4.
- July 11th @ Bernina 1-3pm: Quilt show quilt preparation and binding techniques by Paige.
- August 15th @ Bernina 10am-3pm tentative: Paper piecing workshop by Darlene and Riley Blake challenge reveal (Note the date change and the longer meeting time for the paper pieced workshop)
- September 12th @ Bernina 1-3pm: Digital quilt design and Unloved fabric swap
- The fabric for the 2015 Modern Quilt Guild challenge is The Cottage Garden by Amanda Herring (The Quilted Fish). The deadline is at the end of July. We will present our finished projects at the August meeting. Details are in the April Meeting Recap post. We should be a full guild through the MQG by the deadline for the challenge so members should be able to upload their projects to the MQG website for a chance to win prizes.
- Cheryl passed out June's instructions for fabric requirements for the Midnight Mystery Quilt-A-long which runs through March 2016. Instructions are also available on the Meadow Mist Designs blog and there is an active Facebook group for the quilt-a-long.
- A lap-size quilt will be auctioned at a silent auction at a December 2nd fundraiser for the Meyer Center. The goal is to have all of the blocks for the quilt complete by August and to arrange the blocks into a quilt top design at the August meeting. Darleen volunteered to piece the blocks into a quilt top and supply the batting. Fannie has volunteered to do the quilting and Cheryl volunteered to bind the quilt.
- Many blocks were collected and added to the other blocks to be incorporated into the philanthropy quilt. June’s block of the month is Album - Red Sky Block by Tales of Cloth. Please continue to use fabrics in blues and greens. Here are some of the blocks turned in this month:
- Treasurer Paige Alexander collected dues from 6 members bringing the total paid membership to 20.
- Paige is working now to complete and submit all of the required paperwork for us to join as an official chapter of the Modern Quilt Guild.
Lynn, Paige, Cheryl, and Debby all had beautiful quilts and sewn projects to show.
Program - Faye Jones
Faye Jones, with the help of her two lovely granddaughters, Emma and Sadie, gave a wonderful talk about all different kinds of fabric dyeing and surface printing. She had samples to illustrate all of the different techniques. Faye is working on having small groups to her house for a hands on workshop.
Without further business, the meeting was adjourned at approximately 3pm.
Post a Comment